First chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: I'm Fine and Neither Are You by Camille Pagan


First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, now hosted by Vicki at I'd Rather Be At The Beach, where bloggers post the first paragraph(s) of a book they are currently reading or planning to read sometime soon.

So, after doses of heavy reading, I am hoping to be able to relax and enjoy this book that is contemporary and doesn't require very deep thought. Has anyone read this book yet? And if so, is it good? 



I'm Fine and Neither Are You by Camille Pagan

Chapter One

Mistakes were made. The first wasn't even something I did; it was only a germ of an idea, fleeting but infectious. I had just sat on the toilet and was mulling over the day's to-dos and why-didn't-Is when a single thought shot past all the rest:

I want out. 

Maybe it was the photo I had seen on my phone moments earlier. One of my college friends was on vacation yet again, and had posted a shot of the vast Caribbean horizon beyond her sandy pedicured toes. A novel was on her lap, closed to highlight the cover (and, presumably, her sculpted thighs.) The caption noted that a cabana boy had fetched the cocktail she was holding in her free hand. 

I glanced down at my own legs, which were not so much toned as two-toned. I had recently read that making it through mothering alive required putting on your own oxygen mask before assisting others. Alas- I had failed to make the connection between survival and sunscreen. 

But my sudden desire to be somewhere else was probably less envy and more the result of my second child screaming through the half-inch gap where the bathroom door failed to meet the frame. "Mommy! Mom! Maaahhhmaaay!" 

"Miles, can I not have one whole minute of peace?" The answer to this wasted breath of a question would remain no for another twelve years and two months- not that I was counting. "Go attempt to wake your father up." 

Comments

  1. I like the sound of this one; hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh it IS intriguing! "I want out!" Sounds like a book I'd love!

    Hope you are enjoying your week so far.

    Here's my Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humor is definitely subtle in the book haha. The week has been okay, and yours @Sassy Brit? Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I read this book in June and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my reviewers read this book and enjoyed it. See what book I'm featuring at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know the reviewer enjoyed the story! It definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy. Not to mention so relatable, especially the last part when the child begins asking for her...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022