First chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Run Me To Earth by Paul Yoon


First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, now hosted by Vicki at I'd Rather Be At The Beach, where bloggers post the first paragraph(s) of a book they are currently reading or planning to read sometime soon.

Most likely it will take me awhile to get to this book because the two books I am reading now are, well pretty thick: one at 470+ pages and another at 300+ pages, and I have recently started them this week, so most likely, Run Me To Earth by Paul Yoon will be my first January 2020 book. I hope you'll enjoy this week's selection. 

Alisak

(1969)

At the farmhouse, the three friends asked each other where they went to at nights. 

They had finished most of their duties for the day and were sitting down on the floor together in the corner of the long room that had, two decades ago, held dances and lavish parties but had now been converted into a ward. 

"A ship," Prany said. "I go to a very large ship." 

"Someplace where there is a working fireplace," Prany's younger sister Noi, said, leaning back against the wall. "A very large fireplace." Noi had been disappointed to learn that all the fireplaces in this house had been found sealed up when the doctors first arrived. 

Above them there was a gap in the ceiling where they could see two stars and the passing clouds. In front of them, at the end of rows of cots, a woman tried to turn in her sleep, forgetting that her legs and her torso had been eaten alive when she stepped on an unexploded cluster bomb three days ago. Then the woman remembered what happened but she avoided looking down, watching instead the moonlight coming in through the tall windows that lined the far wall. 

What have you guys been reading or planning to read? 

Comments

  1. Ooooh poor woman! I'm very intrigued as to how this story will pan out! Great choice!

    Here's my Tuesday post! Happy New Year!! Best wishes for 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks @Sassy Brit. Same here :) I also like the writing style I have to admit.

      Delete
  2. Wow, how horrible that would be for the woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Vicki. I can't even imagine what it must be like... :(

      Delete
  3. I want to know what kind of ward and why the women encountered a bomb. Check out the book we are featuring this week at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good questions Girl Who Reads. From the summary it took place in Laos starting with 1969, and perhaps its post Vietnam War? I'm afraid my history of the place is pretty sketchy...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022