First chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Master and the Maid by Laura Libricz


First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, now hosted by Vicki at I'd Rather Be At The Beach, where bloggers post the first paragraph(s) of a book they are currently reading or planning to read sometime soon.

I wanted to introduce the readers this week to The Wife Between us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, but I began the book yesterday, and so far its a good book. This week I'll be introducing an indie book that talks about the Thirty Years' War in Germany, and that I feel does and should deserve attention. (Also, this will be my next read!)

The Master and the maid by Laura Libricz 

Part I

Chapter One

Nuremberg, Germany- May 1616

Katarina twisted the tap on the wooden barrel of beer. Foam spluttered into the tankard and sprayed the white apron covering her coarse brown dress. 

"Willi, get me another barrel," she shouted over the heads of three men sitting at the table nearest her.

The three men swayed from side to side singing a drunken song: "Ich bin a mal auf fischn ganga, in a sumpfig Weir, hockt a Frusch auf meiner Stanga..."

One man lifted his tankard, slammed it on the table and hit the rude bit of the song, "...zwickt mi in die Eier."

The tallow lamp spun across the table and onto the floor. The new barmaid, Lily, stomped on the burning oil proving herself quite useful on her first night serving drinks at The Stork's Nest. 

"Willi can't hear ya," Lily said. "I'll get cha one." 

She swung her wide hips around the three drunk men, waddled behind the bar and heaved the empty wooden barrel onto her shoulder. It was the same size as her stomach. She disappeared into the storeroom. 

Katarina grabbed her wooden spoon and whacked the drunk at the bar who dared put his head down on the smooth wooden surface.

What have you guys been reading or planning to read? 

Comments

  1. haha! I like how Katarina is not taking any nonsense! Great choice, sounds like a fun read. Happy Tuesday! Hope you have a great day. Here is my Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks Sassy Brit! I read the sequel to the book few years ago (didn't have prequel at the time...) and all I can say is that she really needs it! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. It's not a time period I read, but I've featured this author on my blog. I think she writes quite well. See what Christmas themed book we are featuring at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've previously read the sequel to the book, which I've enjoyed a lot because it is very different than what one expects :) If you get a chance to read it, hope you will enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Not my usual read but I like stepping out of my genre box once in a while so I may look for a copy. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki. Hope you'll have a chance to enjoy it as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022