January 22nd-January 28th, 2023

 The Sunday Post


The Sunday Post is a blog news meme hosted here @ Caffeinated Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on your blog for the week ahead. Join in weekly, bi-weekly or for a monthly wrap up. See rules here: Sunday Post Meme

#17 Old Music, New Year...

Right now in East Asia its Lunar New Years, Year of the Rabbit. (Happy New Years to whoever celebrates it!) In United States the year is just beginning, and while my son and I have plans for celebrating it (which includes H-Mart, bulgogi and a cake roll from Tous Les Jours, as well as him saying hello to his paternal grandma and aunt over Skype, and my son's father is actually Chinese not Korean and no, the father has never told me or guided me how to celebrate Lunar New Years in Chinese style) I am feeling introspective. Its safe to say that in 2025 it will be almost 20 years since I have began to be interested in East Asian culture, in particular, Korean culture. In 2005, I met a Korean (Korean-American?) male who introduced me to old K-pop, and who taught me of hope. In 2008, I met the one who got away, the love of my life who is also from South Korea and who taught me a lot about South Korean culture. Since then, I listened to a lot of old K-pop that was popular in either '90s or early 00's. I still listen to old K-pop music, the ones not many know outside of Korea, or at all. Days turn to hours to minutes to seconds, I am born anew. 

While we enjoyed the trip to the museum with cub scouts, especially my son. we were both sad to hear that a boy he liked and wanted to be friends with will no longer be part of cub scouts. I do hope that despite that setback he will enjoy cub scouts and will want to make friends. The week was all right in my view, got a few books and am crossing my fingers for a certain event (s) to happen. I also realized that while I will continue to enjoy historical fiction, I don't think it has a big hold on me as it used to. I also am finding historical fiction that veers off the beaten path a lot. 

Last Week On The Blog:

All That We Are by mariah stewart

the cuckoo by leo carew

This Week On The Blog: The tethered mage by melissa caruso 

New Arrivals At Svetlana's Reads and Views :

  



It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 


(From The Book Date)

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a place to meet up and share what you have been, and are about to be reading over the week. It’s a great post to organise yourself. It’s an opportunity to visit and comment and er… add to your groaning TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started on J Kaye’s blog and then was hosted by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn here at The Book Date.
Jen Vincent, Teach Mentor Texts, and Kellee of Unleashing Readers decided to give It’s Monday! a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children’s literature – picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels or anything in those genres – join them.

I feel proud that I have reviewed the books I had, leaving only room for the recently finished The Tethered Mage by Melissa Caruso, which I've liked. Right now I'm reading Episode Thirteen by Craig DiLouie and am back in Cyrus's world in The Sapphire Altar by David Dalglish. 

Reading:

 

   19//496                                  276/433


Plans:

  





Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

How it works:

I assign each Tuesday a topic and then post my top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join me and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

You’ll find the schedule of upcoming TTT topics below so you can plan ahead. I’ll post a Linky here on the blog each week so you can link up your post (if you want). If you don’t have a blog, post your picks in the comment section below! Have tons of fun talking books and getting to know your fellow bloggers!

NOTE: If a weekly topic is listed as a “freebie”, you are invited to come up with your own topic. Sometimes I will give your topic a theme, such as “love”, a season, or an upcoming holiday. That just means that you can come up with any topic you want that fits under that umbrella.

You’re more than welcome to use the Top Ten Tuesday image I designed above (or any of my older/seasonal ones), or make your own that fits your site’s theme.

January 24: New-to-Me Authors I Discovered in 2022 (If you didn’t read books by 10 new authors, share new-to-you authors whose books you added to your TBR in 2022. Get creative, if needed!)

1. Rachel Gillig 

2. Tasha Suri

3. Phong Nguyen

4. Thomas Kendall

5. Erin M Evans

6. Leslye Penelope

7. Davinia Evans

8. Charles Lambert

9. Jon/Kelley Skovron

10. C.A. Fletcher 

(Trust me there is a lot more authors than just ten...) 

Shelf Control


Welcome to Shelf Control — an original feature created and hosted by Bookshelf Fantasies.

Shelf Control is a weekly celebration of the unread books on our shelves. Pick a book you own but haven’t read, write a post about it (suggestions: include what it’s about, why you want to read it, and when you got it), and link up! For more info on what Shelf Control is all about, check out my introductory post, here.

Want to join in? Shelf Control posts go up every Wednesday. See the guidelines at the bottom of the post, and jump on board!


Title: The Thousand and One Night Volume III (Out of 4)

Author: Anonymous 

Published: 1986

Length: 569 (Day 487-814)

What it’s about (synopsis via Goodreads):

This great classic of world literature is familiar to most readers through the tales of the Arabian Nights--Scheherazade, Sinbad, Harun al-Rashid, Aladdin, Ali Babba and the Forty Thieves. This translation, the only complete and accurate one in English, presents an unexpurgated version of these famous stories. Wonderfully readable, they tells of a world of magical beauty, of the East and its enchantments, and of an art of living which was the product of one of the world's great civilizations.

How and when I got it: I bought it because I owned the previous two books and to continue on the journey. I got it on February 3rd, 2015. 

Why I want to read it: Maybe I'll find a story that I haven't heard or read about yet. 

What do you think? Would you read this book? And if you’ve read it, do you recommend it?

Please share your thoughts!

Books from Backlog


Books from the Backlog is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your bookshelf unread.  If you are anything like me, you might be surprised by some of the unread books hiding in your stacks.

If you would like to join in, please feel free to enter your link, link back to this post, and then spend some time visiting some of the other posts.

This week’s neglected book 


Book Title: 
 The Thousand and One Night Volume IV (out of 4)

Series: 1,001 Arabian Nights 

Publisher: Routledge 

Genres: fairytales, Islam, Middle East, genies, magic, Scheherazade, tale within tale, fantasy, royalty, healing 

Pages: 536 (Dasys 815-1,001)

Format: Print 

Source: I bought it because of the previous three volumes and because I read some tales in childhood. 

Summary:

This translation, the only complete and accurate one in English and now available in paperback, presents a full and frank version of the Arabian Nights. The World's most vivid and absorbing stories are here given in a full and unexpurgated translation, and in all the enthralling power of their narrative.

Why did I add The Thousand and One Night Volume IV to my bookshelf? Because I want to continue my journey and learn more fascinating tales. 

What are your thoughts? Have you read this book?  Would you recommend it?

Let's Talk Bookish 


January 27: Freebie!

As we’re coming to the end of January, use this freebie to take the day off, or to go back to a past LTB topic you haven’t written about yet! The archive from April 2022 to now is here on my blog, and everything before that is on Rukky’s blog.

(From: Rukky's blog)

Reader & Blogger Responsibilities- July 24th, 2020)

What do you think are our responsibilities as bloggers and readers? 

At the time I started this blog, I thought my responsibility was basically to guide people to books they might like. However as I kept blogging and meeting books that aren't heard of or even forgotten, I think my responsibility is perhaps to also guide people to people of diverse backgrounds and experiences. 

How do you find diverse books to read? 

In the past because of my interest in Asia, I found books by either recommendations or just magically found them in a bookstore or whatnot. Now I think its through goodreads primarily, and what I want and seek. 

Have you ever had a blogger/reader identity crisis which I think is what I’m having right now lol?

So far not really. My role, I think, has kind of evolved organically. I always enjoyed reading diverse stories and always found myself identified as a minority, so its not a big shock for me to recommend stories that feature other minorities,  or that I have to dig pretty deeply to find minority tales. 

And just for some happy thoughts, what did you have for breakfast?

Bulgogi Lol. 

Stacking the Shelves 


Book Titles I got this week: (if available)





Planned Reviews: (If available. Use pictures)



Comments

  1. The Bone Shard War looks intriguing, and I would also like to read Episode Thirteen. Sounds like my kind of book. I hope you enjoy all your books!


    My Sunday Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Svetlana, have some noodle dishes (soups or stir fry) and some Chinese dumplings which are popular Chinese New Year dishes. Noodles for longevity. Give your son a red envelope with cash to celebrate the new year. Happy Year of the Rabbit.

      Delete
    2. Hi Majanka Verstraete! I agree. Bone SHARD war does look good :) Episode Thirteen was also good. I posted a review on my blog so you can check it out. It's very psychological for me.

      Delete
    3. Hi Harvee! Thanks for suggestions. I hope next year I can do them. I did try to buy vermicelli dish at Korean store, but son didn't like it. We did end up dressing in red so he can say hi to grandmother and aunt, but a bit awkward. And his dad did promise red envelopes when he comes for a visit in summer ( do you know anyone who is selling that famous London bridge? I have a trillion dollars :D just kidding)

      Delete
  2. Happy Year of the Rabbit!
    You could suggest the scout group do some activities related to the Year of the Rabbit, there are great activity suggestions online. you might also want to search to see if there are any public celebrations you could take your son to.

    The Salt Grows Heavy looks dark.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi shelleyrae@book'd out! Thanks for your suggestion. Maybe I can mention it next year or so To cub scout masters? Unfortunately I didn't take my son anywhere yet :( where I live isn't California nor Boston nor New York, but maybe next year we can do something fun. The salt grows heavy does look creepy, especially the mask part ( doctor's in medieval ages dressed up like that!)

      Delete
  3. Happy Lunar New Year! I've been watching walking tour videos of Japan and Spouth Korea and have learned so much. Especially during the livewalks and chats. Good luck with what you are hping for as well. :)

    As for th questions, yes I have had blogger identity crises from time to time. Blogging changes so much and what it's like now is different from a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg! The events I hoped for came true so thank you so much! I mostly read quite a few Chinese and some Japanese classics as well as some Korean novels and had loves and experiences that informed my knowledge.

      Blogging and duties do change a lot. What was enough feels outdated, and obsolete at times :(

      Delete
  4. Happy Year of the Rabbit, Svetlana! Hope your son and you are enjoying the celebrations. I also hope your son finds new friends in the cub scouts.

    Didn't know you lived in Texas. I visited Dallas several years back, but have been to Austin twice in the last six months because my daughter is living there temporarily. Well, for the next two years anyhow. I'm sure there will be more visiting to come. We've had fun exploring the Texas Hill Country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel@waves of fiction! Thanks so much! I hope he will find some good friends too. Today I learned of a possibility that a boy my son wants to be friends with is coming back to scouts!

      I lived in Dallas area since 1994 and I have been to Austin once, lol. All I recall was parking was horrible. I hadn't been to Texas Hill Country.

      Delete
  5. I hope you and your son enjoy your celebrations!
    Jill
    http://www.allthebooksihaventread.com/blog-1/2023/1/21/on-my-nightstand-january-22-2023

    ReplyDelete
  6. A History of Burning sounds very interesting! Happy New Year.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-new-to-me-authors-i-discovered-in-2022/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous and thanks so much! I hope to get a chance to read the book this year. I am curious if it similar to other books I read and loved.

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your time in East Asia. I’m glad you linked up so I could find your blog. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous and thanks so much! The only way I can travel to Asia is through books, so does that count?

      Delete
  8. For Top Ten Tuesday: all new to me here!
    And possibly all new to you in my list as well: https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/01/24/top-ten-new-authors-i-discovered-in-2022/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma at Words And Peace/France Book Tours! Pretty much almost all the authors were fantasy, and they were the last ten new ones I read.

      Delete
  9. I've not read any of the new to you authors on your TTT list but glad you enjoyed their books!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/01/24/top-ten-tuesday-404/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi iloveheartlandx! While I liked a lot of the books from the top ten list, some of the ones I didn't enjoy. The list is of last ten new authors from 2022.

      Delete
  10. I've not read any of the authors you mentioned for your TTT post, so I'll have to look into them! Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Poinsettia! Pretty much a lot of authors on my list are fantasy :) a few of them are very good and I loved their reads ( in particular Tasha Suri, Jon/Kelley Skovron and Rachel Gillig) others were good but not breathtaking and few others weren't enjoyable. I simply took last ten new to me authors I read lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022