January 29th-February 4th, 2023

 The Sunday Post


The Sunday Post is a blog news meme hosted here @ Caffeinated Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on your blog for the week ahead. Join in weekly, bi-weekly or for a monthly wrap up. See rules here: Sunday Post Meme

#18 What awaits me in few years...

As I learned quite recently, my son has taken interest in military machines and it seems he is kind of gravitating towards learning a bit of WWII. (I did tell him of some basics, of the "good guys" and the "bad guys") I also pointed out the swastika and that its a symbol of evil, and I also mentioned that the leader, Hitler, was a very evil man. What I haven't mentioned nor talked about (my son is six and in first grade) are the stories of German and Japanese atrocities that would have awaited for people like him. I feel anxious for when one day I will have to talk about these atrocities. My family, I should mention, was impacted. My paternal grandfather lost his leg in Stalingrad, while my maternal grandparents and my maternal grandmother were running far away from Germans as possible. My maternal grandpa, as I know, lost his two aunts and their children to Germans (I believe they rounded them up, had them dig graves and then shot them?) On my son's paternal side, I strongly suspect that his great-grandfather might have been killed by Japanese soldiers (his paternal great-grandfather, at a very young age died mysteriously in 1943...) He, as he quite often reminded me, is a very sensitive boy and despite me mentioning some basics about Leningrad, was very upset. I honestly am anxious and not looking forward to discussing these topics with him in the future. Yet, if not me, I don't think anyone else will be able to. 

From Monday until Wednesday, my son wasn't able to attend school because he wasn't feeling well. On Thursday and Friday, however, he did go. It has been 100 days since he began 1st grade. The Lunar New Years was both good and disappointing because Tous Les Jours ran out of cake slices so we weren't able to get anything. The taro roll my son wanted changed appearance, I suspect. Despite that, we did get a yummy roll at a Chinese store along with bulgogi, vermicelli and kimbap at a Korean store. The events I hoped would happen did happen so hooray! and I also had a pleasant event happen last night (literally) too. In all, I think it was a good week. Tomorrow is Cub Scouts and making a pine derby car. Forgot to mention that on Saturday he lost his second top tooth, although am not sure if he wants a tooth fairy visit or not?

Last Week On The Blog

Episode thirteen by craig diLouie 

the tethered mage by melissa caruso

This Week On The Blog: caught up! 

New Arrivals At svetlanas Reads and Views 

   



It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 


(From The Book Date)

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a place to meet up and share what you have been, and are about to be reading over the week. It’s a great post to organise yourself. It’s an opportunity to visit and comment and er… add to your groaning TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started on J Kaye’s blog and then was hosted by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn here at The Book Date.
Jen Vincent, Teach Mentor Texts, and Kellee of Unleashing Readers decided to give It’s Monday! a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children’s literature – picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels or anything in those genres – join them.

For now, yahoo! Kind of caught up on immediate reviews I suppose, although in a day or two, The Critic's Daughter will await my review. I also am surprised at how far I am in The Sapphire Altar and will soon need to continue to read Melissa Caruso's first trilogy, namely the next two books: The Defiant Heir and The Unbound Empire, and afterwards the next trilogy. I am definitely looking forward to picking up The Foxglove King which seems a perfect read for the month of February. 

Reading:
 
     113/496                               181/276



Plans: 
  





Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

How it works:

I assign each Tuesday a topic and then post my top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join me and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

You’ll find the schedule of upcoming TTT topics below so you can plan ahead. I’ll post a Linky here on the blog each week so you can link up your post (if you want). If you don’t have a blog, post your picks in the comment section below! Have tons of fun talking books and getting to know your fellow bloggers!

NOTE: If a weekly topic is listed as a “freebie”, you are invited to come up with your own topic. Sometimes I will give your topic a theme, such as “love”, a season, or an upcoming holiday. That just means that you can come up with any topic you want that fits under that umbrella.

You’re more than welcome to use the Top Ten Tuesday image I designed above (or any of my older/seasonal ones), or make your own that fits your site’s theme.

January 31: Freebie (What I want to read for Holocaust Remembrance Day next year in January 27th)



1. 999 by Heather Dune Macadam:  So I did read it, but forgot to review it, unfortunately. But it was really good and there are parts where I wanted to cry. 



2. Into the Forest by Rebecca Frankel: I hadn't read it, but would like to read it one day because it definitely sounds interesting and something that will induce goosebumps. 



3. I want you to know we're still here by Esther Safran Foer: Quite often the focus of Holocaust is on immediate generation. Very little is studied or mentioned on how Holocaust has impacted second and third and even fourth generations, the descendants of Holocaust survivors. I think this book will bring a clarity on what it was like to grow up in the shadow rather than in spotlight. 



4.  The boy who followed his father into Auschwitz by Jeremy Dronfield: The story reads a lot like fiction but it promises to be a true story and it does sound very fascinating in my opinion. 



5. Heavy Sand by Anatoly Rybakov:  Very little and not much known is studied of Jews in Russia or elsewhere, Jews who perhaps died in other ways than in concentration camps. I honestly have a strong feeling that this will be a book that will speak to me far more than anything else. I may know or read before. 



6. Bela's Letters by Jeff Ingber: I remember reading it many years ago and I can't make up my mind on whether or not its fiction because it portrays itself as fiction, but reads a lot like non-fiction. 



7. The complete Maus by Art Spiegelman: I originally got it for my son, but he is six years of age, and isn't quite ready for the heavy topic. Meanwhile I hope to read it and perhaps one day talk to him about it. 



8. The night trilogy-Elie Wiesel: Aside from Anne Frank, this is perhaps one of the more famous stories. I did read it awhile back but yes, didn't review it. 



9. Art from the Ashes: anthology: I read sections of it for my Holocaust in Media representation class when I was a college student, so its pretty important that I should attempt to read it in its entirety. 



10. A history of the Holocaust-Yehuda Baer: From my memories its an excellent book that is short when it comes to Jewish history (yes even before Holocaust) and that follows Holocaust in different parts of the world. (I don't know if they covered the camps in China or not...) 

Shelf Control


Welcome to Shelf Control — an original feature created and hosted by Bookshelf Fantasies.

Shelf Control is a weekly celebration of the unread books on our shelves. Pick a book you own but haven’t read, write a post about it (suggestions: include what it’s about, why you want to read it, and when you got it), and link up! For more info on what Shelf Control is all about, check out my introductory post, here.

Want to join in? Shelf Control posts go up every Wednesday. See the guidelines at the bottom of the post, and jump on board!


Title: Sherlock Holmes the Complete Novels and Stories Volume I

Author:  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 

Published: (originally 1887-1893, 1903-1904) 

Length: 1059 pages 

What it’s about (synopsis via Goodreads):

Since his first appearance in Beeton’s Christmas Annual in 1887, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes has been one of the most beloved fictional characters ever created. Now, in two paperback volumes, Bantam presents all fifty-six short stories and four novels featuring Conan Doyle’s classic hero - a truly complete collection of Sherlock Holmes’s adventures in crime!

Volume I includes the early novel A Study in Scarlet, which introduced the eccentric genius of Sherlock Holmes to the world. This baffling murder mystery, with the cryptic word Rache written in blood, first brought Holmes together with Dr. John Watson. Next, The Sign of Four presents Holmes’s famous “seven percent solution” and the strange puzzle of Mary Morstan in the quintessential locked - room mystery. Also included are Holmes’s feats of extraordinary detection in such famous cases as the chilling “ The Adventure of the Speckled Band,” the baffling riddle of “The Musgrave Ritual,” and the ingeniously plotted “The Five Orange Pips,” tales that bring to life a Victorian England of horse-drawn cabs, fogs, and the famous lodgings at 221B Baker Street, where Sherlock Holmes earned his undisputed reputation as the greatest fictional detective of all time.

A study in scarlet --

The sign of four --

Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: A scandal in Bohemia; The red-headed league; A case of identity; The Boscombe Valley mystery; The five orange pips; The man with the twisted lip; The adventure of the blue carbuncle; The adventure of the speckled band; The adventure of the engineer's thumb; The adventure of the noble bachelor; The adventure of the beryl coronet; The adventure of the copper beeches; Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes: Silver blaze; The yellow face; The stock-broker's clerk; The "Gloria Scott"; The musgrave ritual; The Reigate puzzle; The crooked man; The resident patient; The greek interpreter; The naval treaty; The final problem; The return of Sherlock Holmes: The adventure of the empty house; The adventure of the Norwood builder; The adventure of the dancing men; The adventure of the solitary cyclist; The adventure of the priory school; The adventure of Black Peter; The adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton; The adventure of the six Napoleons; The adventure of the three students; The adventure of the golden pince-nez; The adventure of the missing three-quarter; The adventure of the abbey grange; The adventure of the second stain.

How and when I got it: So I got it on January 20th, 2020 from my younger sister. She bought it on amazon. 

Why I want to read it: So my one true love was a Sherlock Holmes fan, and although I read other mysteries, I still haven't yet read the master himself and I want to see what is going on. 

What do you think? Would you read this book? And if you’ve read it, do you recommend it?

Please share your thoughts!

Books from Backlog


Books from the Backlog is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your bookshelf unread.  If you are anything like me, you might be surprised by some of the unread books hiding in your stacks.

If you would like to join in, please feel free to enter your link, link back to this post, and then spend some time visiting some of the other posts.

This week’s neglected book 


Book Title: 
Sherlock Holmes the Complete Novels and Stories Volume II

Series: Sherlock Holmes Complete Novel

Publisher: Bantam 

Genres: Detectives, classic, mysteries, Victorian England, thrillers, short stories, crime, British classics 

Pages: 737 ( 1893- 1927)

Format: Print

Source: My younger sister gave it as a gift on January 20th, 2020) 

Summary:

Since his first appearance in Beeton’s Christmas Annual in 1887, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes has been one of the most beloved fictional characters ever created.

Now, in two paperback volumes, Bantam presents all fifty-six short stories and four novels featuring Conan Doyle’s classic hero—a truly complete collection of Sherlock Holmes’s adventures in crime!

Volume II begins with The Hound of the Baskervilles, a haunting novel of murder on eerie Grimpen Moor, which has rightly earned its reputation as the finest murder mystery ever written.

The Valley of Fear matches Holmes against his archenemy, the master of imaginative crime, Professor Moriarty.

In addition, the loyal Dr. Watson has faithfully recorded Holmes’s feats of extraordinary detection in such famous cases as the thrilling The Adventure of the Red Circle and the twelve baffling adventures from The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes.

Conan Doyle’s incomparable tales bring to life a Victorian England of horse-drawn cabs, fogs, and the famous lodgings at 221B Baker Street, where for more than forty years Sherlock Holmes earned his undisputed reputation as the greatest fictional detective of all time.

Why did I add Sherlock Holmes the Complete Novels and Stories Volume II to my bookshelf? Simply put, my true love is a fan of Sherlock Holmes and I am curious about reading him one day. 

What are your thoughts? Have you read this book?  Would you recommend it?

Let's Talk Bookish 


Today’s topic is: Bookish/Blogging Myths. You can choose to write about bookish myths, or blogging myths, or about both! 


Mainly because Book Nook is busy, and I want to continue on doing Friday topics, I decided to go back and do this topic. 

#1 Myth: Book people LOVE cats. I like cats, but I don't think I want to own a cat in the future. I'm more of a dog person, I believe. 

#2. Myth: Readers either work in libraries or bookstores: I did try that route, but neither were for me. I would love to, but so far I hadn't been given a chance to do so. 

#3. Myth: All readers are far left liberals: Meet my dad who reads a lot on e-books (namely science fiction and mysteries as well as other topics. He and I don't have a close relationship) and yet he's a conservative and a Trump supporter. I would describe myself as more moderate with slightly liberal leanings. 

#4. Myth: Monetization on YouTube: Sorry but you need to have certain statistics in order to be even considered for monetization. Also, not everyone is wealthy. 

#5 Myth: If we are good at reading then we must all be coasting and succeeding with life: Umm yeah, in college I really struggled with classes and the reading pace I was asked to do. Also, I read a lot, but I'm not wealthy at all. 

#6. Myth: You must love Shakespeare and Charles Dickens: Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't love them, nor do I like them. Shakespeare was in school but I didn't care for him (sorry!) and Charles Dickens, I tried two of his novels, but oh boy, is he boring! So yeah, not for me. 

Stacking the Shelves 


Book Titles I got this week: (if available):






Planned Reviews: (If available. Use pictures):

N/A

Comments

  1. History is a subject I'm super passionate about and I enjoy learning all that I can about it therefore it's no surprise that my son has inherited that, I guess. WW1 and WW2 are so important to learn about but they definitely aren't easy to discuss with children... I'll always remember talking about the Holocaust with him when he was 7 or 8 (he's almost 12 now) because he'd seen Holocaust memorial day on the news and the horror and confusion on his little face despite me toning it down to a level he could understand at that age... Brutal. Over the years, other atrocities of war have been discussed but it never really gets easier. Especially when elements have personal history included.
    Good luck with your son and remember that he doesn't need to know everything all at once. You know him best and know the correct pace to take. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nicci and thanks so much for sharing your personal experience. I also have passion for history ( majored in history) and I think, though I am not sure, that my son has some interest. His interests tend to vary. I know that it's a matter of when not if before he comes across. He at least has an idea that Japan and Germans are the bad guys, that Japan conquered Asia. My learning of Holocaust involved elementary school. Latet on in college i learned a lot of painful history regarding history of Judaism...

      Delete
  2. It's hard because as I get older it seems like we are discussing these things less and less. WWII fades into the background a bit. when I was growing up it was still pretty around, we played war (maybe not a good thing, but we were aware of it at least) and there were shows and whatnt that kepyt it in the consciousness. I hope we don't lose that too much.

    I need to check out that 1492 book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg! I agree. Aside from WW2 historical fiction, it feels as if it's not in consciousness. In my case, WW2 and some stories of anti-judaic treatment my family experienced, and then me, were pretty much there, although because we were in Soviet Union, a lot about Judaism felt shameful and hidden in my opinion.

      Delete
    2. Also, enjoy the 1492 book! I was pretty excited about finding it because it portrays both Spaniards and Taino people.

      Delete
  3. Agree on all the myth about bookworms. I am more of a dog person and I don't work in a bookshop or library. As for the book community would like you to believe it far left labral. It really becoming more diverse in thoughts and opinions. Over the last year I finally find my people to hang out with and talk books. Everyone is all over the pollical spectrum or not on it (not that I really care).
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Snapdragon! Good to know there are some that aren't far left liberal. I subscribe to Book Riot and quite often it feels as if it presents book community as far left liberal. I am a moderate honestly. I used to identify as Democrat but then couldn't stomach radical ideas anymore. I hate that everything feels so divisive and accusatory.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your reader myths. I like cats, but I prefer dogs. I've never worked in a library or bookstore. If you're looking to get rich, books aren't the way to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aj@Read All The Things! Thanks so much! Lol yeah, books are not a way to wealth. Make up, food, toys, health, etc. Are lol.

      Delete
  5. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to tell your son about these horrible events! I totally understand keeping the information minimal at this point. No six year old needs to have that on their mind, especially if they're a sensitive soul. Sounds like he'll be having some fun with the cubs. Very nice. Hope you enjoy your new reads and have a wonderful day/week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel@Waves of Fiction! Thanks so much! My mom often accused me of oversharing when my son was younger, so sometimes I feel ill equipped when discussing certain topics. Z enjoyed cub scouts creating pine derby which looks like a tank but he says it's an armored vehicle.

      Delete
  6. I haven’t read any of these books yet, but they do sound interesting.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-bookish-confessions/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous and thanks so much! If you get a chance to read them, let me know what you think of them please!

      Delete
  7. Those are worthy books for Holocaust Remembrance Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb Nance at Readerbuzz! Thanks so much! I do hope to at least read a few of them next year in January.

      Delete
  8. I have not read any of these books. If I were to make this list, I would include Salt to the Sea, Sara's Key, The Nightingale, The Book Thief. I know I'm forgetting a some. Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deanna @Novel Glimpse! Please leave a link to your blog that I can visit a d comment on! Thanks for the suggestions, but when I was making the list, I was seeking books where Jews are the heroes( too often Jews are secondary characters in the novels, or else act as forgiveness element to non-Jewish characters so to speak) and that they were written by Jewish authors. I also wanted to highlight nonfiction stories because not much is known or heard of them.

      Delete
  9. I've not read any of the books you've listed for Holocaust Memorial Day but I'll have to look into some of them.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/01/31/top-ten-tuesday-405/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi iloveheartlandX! Good luck and if you have a chance to read them, I hope you will enjoy them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022