First chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Miracle Creek by Angie Kim


First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, now hosted by Vicki at I'd Rather Be At The Beach, where bloggers post the first paragraph(s) of a book they are currently reading or planning to read sometime soon.

I sincerely hope to read this particular book before the year is out. Right now its in the final round of Goodreads Choice Nominee for 2019, for Mystery and Thriller, and prior to that, it also held a debut category. Even the page, which I will share here, promises instant seduction. What book are you excited about reading? 

Miracle Creek by Angie Kim

The Incident 

Miracle Creek, Virginia

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My husband asked me to lie. Not a big lie. He probably didn't even consider it a lie, and neither did I, at first. It was such a small thing, what he wanted. The police had just released the protesters, and while he stepped out to make sure they weren't coming back, I was to sit in his chair. Cover for him, the way coworkers do as a matter of course, the way we ourselves used to at the grocery store, while I ate or he smoked. But as I took his seat, I bumped against the desk, and the certificate above it went slightly crooked as if to remind me that this wasn't a regular business, that there was a reason he'd never left me in charge before.

Pak reached over me to straighten the frame, his eyes on the English lettering: Pak Yoo, Miracle Submarine LLC, Certified Hyperbaric Technician. He said-eyes still on the certificate, as if talking to it, not to me- "Everything's done. The patients are sealed in, the oxygen's on. You just have to sit here." He looked at me. "That's it."

Comments

  1. Love a book about lies.. they always come back to haunt them!

    Here's my Tuesday post.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I strongly agree. How easier would it be if they tell the truth, but then, the book won't be nowhere as fun :)

      Delete
  2. This has been on my radar, but that opening really makes me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this book; hope you do as well! Here is my pick:
    https://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/2019/11/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday_26.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I should read your review and see what you loved about it.

      Delete
  4. I am intrigued by the opening and learning that Diane loved it, it is going on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you will have a chance to read it and enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. I almost added this one to my TBR last week but hadn't heard much about it. Think I'll just go add it now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL please do. Am happy that my intro convinced you to add it.

      Delete
  6. Very intriguing opening. I want to know why it isn't a regular kind of business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read it, but it does deal with hyperbaric chamber, which means supplying intense amount of oxygen to people who suffer from autism to infertility, etc. Hopefully you will get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  7. It's not very often that a lie is never found out, so I'd like to see what happens in this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is one book where a lie is not found out that I can think of, but pretty much in 99.9 percent of books, lies are always discovered :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022