Blog Challenge Day 03: Golden Classics



When I became a blogger, I became aware of the competitive nature of books with one another; in particular with building up the hype for the newest releases at the cost of the old books: readers are more likely familiar with new stories rather than old. It is important to look back though, to realize what might have gone wrong and what can be done about it. For this topic, I decided to choose How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez, which was published in 1992 (the blog challenge specified the year prior to 1995.) 

Basically the story travels backwards, from the first story when the third sister, Yolanda finds herself back home to when she is a little girl in 1950s, from 1989 to 1956. While reading it, I highly enjoyed it and often found myself being able to relate to sisters' experiences in America. I also am wondering why haven't a book like this been introduced to me when I was in high school? I understand the story has sexual elements to it, but still, why not? Amy Tan's Joy Luck Club was introduced to me, yet How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents hasn't. 

Comments

  1. Nice choice, Svetlana. I will definitely look up this book - as an immigrant myself, there are pieces that appeal to me a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022