G103 Book Review of Azlander-Second Nature by Gabriel Brunsdon

Name of Book: Azlander- Second Nature

Author: Gabriel Brunsdon

ISBN: 978-0-9874656-5-8

Publisher:  Published December 12th 2012 by Gabrielle Brunsdon

Type of book: Fairies, demons, reincarnations, lives, romance, relationship, different worlds, video games, struggles

Year it was published: 2012

Summary:

AZLANDER is a fantastical esoteric journey throughout the realms of Faerie, of Hell and the virtual worlds. Snapshots of magic, spiritual insights - telling of the elven Puck who was formerly known as Robin of the Forest and his travels throughout the mortal world today.

Characters:

I found the characters to be interesting and multidimensional, at least that of Puck and Goober and Eric. Marley had potential to be interesting character, but for one reason or another I felt removed from her and I only saw barest glimpses of her life before she disappeared once more. I liked that Puck was multidimensional and was more kind than mean. With some characters I had difficult time keeping track of them, such as Marc and so forth. I kind of hoped of deeper reasons to be evil than the simple just because.

Theme:

There are worlds beneath and above ours.

Plot:

Its written in third person narrative from almost everyone's point of view. I had difficulty following the narrative, although I did understand what was going on; in beginning Puck is Marley's caretaker and is worried about the world, in particular of a video game that's taking over the whole world literally. There are dark entities, plans to take it down, and so forth. Puck also does his best to do good around everyone, and meanwhile the reader explores the characters' histories and the possible world that no one is aware of. Its a blend of fantasy and sort of realism. I guess now that I think about it, in an odd way its sort of like Dante's Inferno.

Author Information:
(from goodreads.com)

url https://www.goodreads.com/AZLANDER
born in Richmond, Australia
website http://www.AZLANDER.COM
twitter username Gabriel Brunsdon
genre Fantasy, Spirituality, Paranormal
influences George MacDonald, Leonard Cohen, Thomas A'Kempis, E.R.E. Edison
member since December 2012

Opinion:

I honestly feel bad that I ended up not liking Azlander-Second Nature. I really did like the potential of the book; the world of fairy and human, and Puck, which I always picture from Disney's Gargoyles. I liked Puck's character and the possibilities that the book offered in terms of magic and being guardians of humans as well as interesting views on World of Warcraft game and so forth. A lot of the novel was confusing for me personally. The plot and story jumped constantly from one time to another without any warnings; one minute I was stuck in modern century then the next I was back with King John and Richard the Lionhearted in 1200s. The chapters were only a few pages long but had little connectivity with one another. Also the summary only matches the ending of the book instead of the entire book. Plus, I didn't understand or get the nature of Azlander. I know that he is some sort of messiah who happens to be a lion, I think, but how does he relate to Puck and to others?

Quick notes: I would like to thank the author for the opportunity to read and review the book.

2 out of 5
(0: Stay away unless a masochist 1: Good for insomnia 2: Horrible but readable; 3: Readable and quickly forgettable, 4: Good, enjoyable 5: Buy it, keep it and never let it go.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022