G154 E-Reading Book Review of Red Shoes for Lab Blues by D.B. Sieders

Name of Book: Red Shoes for Lab Blues

Author: D.B. Sieders

ISBN:  9781616504663

Publisher: Lyrical Press

Type of book: interracial relationship Chinese-American male/American female, medicine, romance, adult, crush, mystery, science, laboratory politics and life, dedication

Year it was published: 2013

Summary:

Can love and sex overcome logic and sabotage...

Dr. Stacey Jamison thinks she's close to validating PharmEx's new anti-cancer drug. Her budding independent career, her boss’s tenure, and a ton of research dollars are at stake. She just has to prove Compound Z kills cancer cells.

So far, it doesn’t.

Then along comes Dr. Henry Chan, the department’s new rising star. Henry is smart, handsome, and confident. He’s also captivated by the enigmatic Dr. Jamison, who seems oblivious to her own charms. But will Henry risk his heart when the research project is at stake?

A rival drug company, an insider with a personal grudge, and militant animal rights protestors force everyone’s plans into disarray. Can their love overcome everything being thrown at them?

Characters:

I liked that the heroine is an intelligent science nerd who has fear of ending up like her mother, thus she doesn't give many guys a chance of getting to know her. She focuses a lot on the past, or else loses her track of thought. The hero is Asian-American and he's a pretty cool guy in my opinion. He's intelligent, ambitious and fears intimacy due to negative experiences. The issues he puts with his race is ones I often hear Asian men complain about. Kudos to the author for creating likable characters.

Theme:

Love is possible

Plot:

Its written in third person narrative from Henry's and Stacy's point of views. The story itself is self-explanatory. Both work at a university and Stacy is close to discovering a drug that will help with cancer. She also has a crush on Henry, whom she finally has a chance of getting to know when she ends up kicking the poor machine. There is romance, mystery of who and why which wasn't clear to me, and examination of a unique background when it comes to Henry. I would have liked to get to know Stacy's family as well. I also would have liked to see more Henry and Stacy conversations and dates.

Author Information:
(from goodreads.com)

url
http://www.goodreads.com/DBSieders

gender
female

website
http://www.dbsieders.com

twitter username
DBSieders

genre
Romance, Fantasy, Humor And Comedy

influences
Stephen King, Jeaniene Frost, J.R. Ward, Charlaine Harris

member since
July 2012

I was born and raised in East Tennessee and spent a great deal of my childhood hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains and wading barefoot in creeks, chasing salamanders, fish, and frogs. We camped a lot, and we loved to tell stories while sitting around our campfire.

Those days of frog chasing sparked my interest in biology, which I pursued in college and later in graduate school. A working scientist by day, I never lost my love of sharing stories. I’ve been an avid reader for as long as I can remember and am thrilled to be working as a writer. My memberships include RWA and the Middle Tennessee affiliate, Music City Romance Writers.

I live in Nashville, Tennessee with my husband, two children, two cats, and my very active imagination.

I am represented by Natalia Aponte and Victoria Lea of Aponte Literary.

Opinion:

This is actually a very delightful read that leaves very little ends unturned. The heroes and the issues tend to be realistic, as far as I am aware of them and I liked the minority male/American female pairing in the book. I ended up rooting for the heroes and hoped for a good and fulfilling ending, which didn't disappoint. Story-wise speaking, this would have been a five star rating because I have very little to nitpick, but for two issues: one is that I wish the book would have been longer, and the other is that the villain tends to unexpected and I was a bit confused as to what happened in the end. I think I also liked that Stacy doesn't become a beauty queen at the end and remains herself.

Quick notes: I would like to thank the author for the opportunity to read and review the book.

4 out of 5
(0: Stay away unless a masochist 1: Good for insomnia 2: Horrible but readable; 3: Readable and quickly forgettable, 4: Good, enjoyable 5: Buy it, keep it and never let it go.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022