G1194 E-reading Book review of the nutcracker conspiracy by Lauren Carr

Name of Book:

Author:

ISBN:

Publisher:

Part of a Series: The thorny Rose Couple

Type of book: Government, spying, betrayal, racism, pets, dogs, multiple plots and theories, modern times, secret groups, Phantoms, conspiracies

Year it was published:

Summary:

Characters:

So first of all, I am not saying that all POC have to be portrayed as good guys. What they should be portrayed as whole people, and personally, if one includes a marginalized character as evil, then there should be a good guy as well, at least in my opinion. Here, women and men that dare to be worldly or knowledgeable about the world are portrayed as traitors to USA government! Or women that dont have Caucasian lovers. Surprisingly I agreed with a number of values her previous books espoused, but i cannot agree with these. Even the main characters read like two dimensional caricatures  and it seems as if in this particular mystery everyone lacks depth that i come to expect from her books. 

Theme:

Worldly people betray USA

Plot:

The story is in third person narrative from a lot of characters' points. And yes, main characters from her other series also feature in the tale as well. Normally, her mysteries are tightly written and it seems as if she covered all angles. I am not sure if perhaps I read an ARC of The Nutcracker Conspiracy, but i doubt that I should have gotten lost while reading this story. But that is what happened, unfortunately. Too many twists to keep straight and I got lost and am unable to explain why the mystery ended up the way it did.

Author Information:

Opinion:

Normally one would expect a four star review or so of a Lauren Carr book because I really love and enjoy her mysteries. However, The Nutcracker Conspiracy sadly left me disappointed, angry and bitter. I long suspect that should the author and I meet in real life, we would disagree practically about everything, and thats ok. Whats not ok is what i felt like were attacks on values i held sacred. First of all, not all women/girls are lucky enough to have fathers like the characters in her stories. Short of physical and sexual abuse, my father has done everything possible where I do not want to be involved with men who are same race and religion as I am. Also, what is an Asian language? Can I find a dictionary of an Asian language? I don't know everything about China/Hong Kong, but ugh, people from Hong Kong speak Cantonese, and the main language of mainland China? Mandarin, and they are different from each other! Mandarin has five different tones, while Cantonese has either seven or nine! And here are few examples of hello in Asian languages: ni hao in Mandarin, le hao in Cantonese. Anyonghaseyo in Korean, Konichiwa/konbanwa in Japanese. Do they sound the same? Also, if a woman likes an Asian guy, it does not make her a traitor to America! And if she sleeps with men of other races, it's ok too! I don't appreciate being made to feel as if I was the villain in the story just because of my background and because of my preferences. However, i will still give her a chance because I want to know what's next for the characters that I have already invested in over the last few years.

This is for iRead Book Tours

1 out of 5
(0: Stay away unless a masochist 1: Good for insomnia 2: Horrible but readable; 3: Readable and quickly forgettable, 4: Good, enjoyable 5: Buy it, keep it and never let it go.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022