Book Review of #1 'Till Death Do us Part by Lurlene McDaniel

Name of Book: Till Death Do us Part

Author: Lurlene McDaniel

ISBN: 0-553-57108-7

Publisher: Dell Laurel Leaf

Part of a Series: As Long As We Both Shall Live

Type of book: brain tumor, CF, racing, death, marriage, 1990s, wealth, true love, soul mates

Year it was published: 1997

Summary:

A change is coming. April Lancaster's fortune cookie tells her: Be prepared. But how could she be prepared for the news that she has an inoperable brain tumor? April's life will never be the same. Then she meets handsome Mark Gianni. Mark has cystic fibrosis, but he also has a passion for life...and for April. He shows April how to keep living in the face of life-threatening illness. And when he asks April to marry him, she's happier than she's ever been.

Characters:

I think I was more of told than shown the changes that April had gone through from being self-centered young woman to someone who truly loved Mark. April is a beautiful redhead, an only child of her parents and also very wealthy. Mostly it focused on her being in denial at the start about her brain tumor but then there was a somewhat acceptance. It also showed how having a brain tumor changed her attitude towards life, to appreciate the moments and enjoy life to the fullest for you never know when grim reaper will strike, which is the lesson that Mark teaches her by example. Mark himself is likable and a sweet guy and one feels pity for him and station in life (although Mark won't like that.)

Theme:

Enjoy time and moments for you never know when death will arrive.

Plot:

This is in third person narrative from April's point of view. The writing tends to be simplistic in my view and there isn't a lot of character depth shown. I also didn't feel a lot of chemistry between the characters either. In someway as well its very similar to Lurlene's previous novel that I reviewed on this blog, Don't Die My Love. While reading these novels, I found it interesting that Lurlene McDaniel covers both ordinary and extraordinary people, giving a message that no matter who or where you live, you're not immune.

Author Information:

Lurlene McDaniel began writing inspirational novels about teenagers facing life-altering situations when her son was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. "I saw firsthand how chronic illness affects every aspect of a person's life," she has said. "I want kids to know that while people don't get to choose what life gives to them, they do get to choose how they respond." Lurlene McDaniel's novels are hard hitting and realistic, but also leave readers with inspiration and hope. Her books have received acclaim from readers, teachers, parents, and reviewers. Her novels Don't Die, My Love; I'll be Seeing You; and 'Till Death Do us Part have all been national bestsellers. Lurlene McDaniel lives in Chattanooga, Tennessee. (From inside flap)

Opinion:

The version I got is two in one, that is both 'Till Death Do Us Part and For Better, for Worse, Forever is in one volume. As a teenager I loved reading Lurlene McDaniel's novels but as I recall, I only read the second one, skipping over the first one, not sure why. Coming back to them, despite the simplistic writing and the fact that its very evident they're very young adult, somehow I enjoyed them as an adult. Its a very touching and sweet story, and a teen can easily relate to it because of the unfair parents and no listening to reason. It's also a sad story so be sure to have plenty of tissues.

4 out of 5
(0: Stay away unless a masochist 1: Good for insomnia 2: Horrible but readable; 3: Readable and quickly forgettable, 4: Good, enjoyable 5: Buy it, keep it and never let it go.)

Comments

  1. I have done reading this book.. I was so impressed..It was great and at the same time, it made my tears fall..This story was almost the same to my past love story...My loved one who named MARK andrei Cerio left me too because of his brain cancer..He's 21 like yrs.old too like Mark Gianni..and I was 17 yrs old too like April when ou love story started..I really feel what April feel when Mark left her..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your loss LeiNny.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022