Book Review of Don't Die, My Love by Lurlene McDaniel

Name of Book: Don't die, my love

Author: Lurlene McDaniel

ISBN: 0-553-56715-2

Publisher: Bantam

Type of book: 1990s, cancer, young adult, true love

Year it was published: 1995

Summary:

"Meant for each other."

That's how both Julie Ellis and Luke Muldenhower have always felt. In sixth grade Luke actually asked Julie to marry him, and she just laughed. In eighth grade they began dating. Now in high school, they are deeply in love.

Luke, a talented football player, is almost certain to receive an athletic scholarship to a top college. And no matter what her parents say, wherever Luke goes, Julie intends to follow. When Luke can't shake what he thinks is a virus, Julie persuades him to see a doctor. Luke's test results are alarming, but Julie believes their love is stronger than anything. Can love survive, now and forever?

Characters:

The characters do not have a lot of depth to them in my opinion. They seem to be a bit on the simplistic side and the motivations are also simple; besides love it's not explained very well why Julie is so attached to Luke, and also it's not well explained about her parents; that when it comes to parents she doesn't explain well.

Theme:

I think the theme is a tad bit similar to The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause; no matter who you are or what you do, if you are destined for something bad or good it will happen. No one can prepare or be ready for bad things.

Plot:

This is written from third person narrative, from Julie's point of view and how she tries to handle Luke's sickness. The plot is a bit simplistic in my view and can be enjoyed by anyone, from pre teens to adults.

Author Information:

Lurlene McDaniel began writing inspirational novels about teenagers facing life-altering situations when her son was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. "I saw firsthand how chronic illness affects every aspect of a person's life," she has said. "I want kids to know that while people don't get to choose what life gives to them, they do get to choose how they respond." Lurlene McDaniel's novels are hard hitting and realistic, but also leave readers with inspiration and hope. Her books have received acclaim from readers, teachers, parents, and reviewers. Her novels Don't Die, My Love; I'll be Seeing You; and 'Till Death DO us Part have all been national bestsellers. Lurlene McDaniel lives in Chattanooga, Tennessee. (From inside flap)

Opinion:

I used to read Lurlene McDaniel's novels when I was in middle school, probably seventh or eighth grade, I forget. Although they seem to be a tad bit simplistic in terms of tone, they are very heartfelt sad love stories without any sexual scenes or anything. For those who are going through tough times with someone you care about in the hospital or going through troubles, the stories and reactions will ring true during those times. The tragedy strikes just before good things happen. At the moment, this novel is closest in my heart due to something my family and I have dealt with in the last few months.


4 out of 5
(0: Stay away unless a masochist 1: Good for insomnia 2: Horrible but readable; 3: Readable and quickly forgettable, 4: Good, enjoyable 5: Buy it, keep it and never let it go.)

Comments

  1. Love this book :) I hope someday someone loves me like Luke loved her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous. Good luck. I think the ones who read the book also wish for this kind of romance as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book. Im only in 7th grade and I have read so many books including the twilight series but this is the best book I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022