Book Review of #3 Forbidden Secrets by R.L Stine

Name of book: Forbidden Secrets

Author Name: R.L Stine

ISBN: 0-671-52954-4

Publisher: Parachute Press

Part of a Series: Fear Street Sagas: prequels: A New Fear, House of Whispers, Sequels The Sign of Fear, The Hidden Evil, Daughters of Silence...all the way to The Hand of Power

Type of book: Young adult, 1861-1865, late 1800s early 1900s?, horror, Fier Saga

Year it was published:  September 1996

Summary:

The dark power of hte Fear family consumes all those connected with it. The Fears themselves. Those they love-and hate. No one can escape the evil of the family's curse.

Savannah Madison (Gentry) doesn't believe that! She marries Tyler-event hough he's a Fear. But then she goes with him to Blackrose Manor.

That's when the deaths begin.

That's when the horror surrounds her.

That's when she learns his terrible secret...

Characters:

Again, the characters are caricatures of sorts and don't change at all throughout the novel.

Theme:

I am honestly unsure of what the theme should be with this book. Basically everyone tried to keep Savannah away from Tyler but they didn't succeed.

Plot:

This is completely written in third person from Savannah's point of view. It begins with Savannah on her day in Blackrose Manor, and she decides to tell her story to someone, first her sister and then it turns out to be another character.

Author Information:

R.L Stine was born on October 8th 1943 and is most famous for other Fear Street series along with Goosebumps series and Nightmare Room. Goosebumps and Nightmare Room were made into TV series ages ago.

Opinion:

Unfortunately this is not a very good book. Usually in other Fear Street Sagas books, it's somewhat explained at how the characters get the powers. (For example, in Dance of Death, Justin Fear steals beautiful women's souls, in The Sign of Fear, Christina Davis has the amulet which allows her to take revenge on her aunt, etc.) but this one doesn't explain at all about Tyler's power and how certain things are possible by him. Strangely enough, this is an enjoyable read. Don't know why.

3 out of 5
(0: Stay away unless a masochist 1: Good for insomnia 2: Horrible but readable; 3: Readable and quickly forgettable, 4: Good, enjoyable 5: Buy it, keep it and never let it go.)

Comments

  1. I read this book when I was in the 6th grade, just after it came out. I have not been able to stop thinking about it since! Definitely one of the best books I've read. I actually couldn't remember the name and have been trying to figure out what it was called (all I could remember was Blackrose Manor). FINALLY figured it out today and immediately purchased a copy for my collection from Amazon. CANNOT wait til it comes in so I can re-read it! I hope it's as good as I remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also remember reading this as a kid.. probably in sixth grade, and every now and then it pops into my memory. I remember thinking this book was AWESOME when I read it! Great read for a beginner that doesn't care about complex plots and clever foreshadowing. Its Mcliterature! Although I will probably never read it again now that I am older... just like all my R.L stine books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best book I've read in years!(Even though it's the only book I've read in years) I think I might start reading more often because of this awesome book. R.L. Stine is the best author/movie creator I think I have ever heard of! Thank you Robert Lawrence Stine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022