December 11th-December 17th, 2022

 The Sunday Post


The Sunday Post is a blog news meme hosted here @ Caffeinated Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on your blog for the week ahead. Join in weekly, bi-weekly or for a monthly wrap up. See rules here: Sunday Post Meme

#11 Half Price Two years later...

Last time I visited Half price books was in January of 2020, shortly before COVID hit USA. Today I went back there again, almost three years later. I didn't find books I was looking for (and they came out back in September) nor did I find books I wanted for my six year old highness, but its okay. It actually felt great to be back among books for a little bit and to see if I can find something cool. 

So last week's news, my son lost his tooth (hallelujah, and let's ignore a new way he found in grossing me out which involves the gaping hole and him putting his lip through it...) I also have been enjoying the beautiful foliage spilling all over the ground, literally and also in early week, my son and I have saw a dead squirrel that was hit by a car. (I did give option to my son on whether or not he wanted to see it, and he said he did.) The day was very good, literally 100 out of 10. 

Last Week On The Blog

N/A

This Week On The Blog: The Autodidacts By Thomas Kendall, The Bronze Drum By Phong Nguyen,Margot By Wendell Steavenson (Coming In January) One Dark Window by Rachel Gillig, the oleander sword by tasha suri 

New Arrivals At svetlana's reads and views 



It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 


(From The Book Date)

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a place to meet up and share what you have been, and are about to be reading over the week. It’s a great post to organise yourself. It’s an opportunity to visit and comment and er… add to your groaning TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started on J Kaye’s blog and then was hosted by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn here at The Book Date.
Jen Vincent, Teach Mentor Texts, and Kellee of Unleashing Readers decided to give It’s Monday! a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children’s literature – picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels or anything in those genres – join them.

So I have finished reading One Dark Window by Rachel Gillig as well as The Oleander Sword by Tasha Suri which are very good. (May I state that I am sad that I finished reading One Dark Window? And why October of next year for a sequel? Although I do have a birthday in October...) 

Reads:
 

     18/388                                  51/304

Plans: 
  





Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

How it works:

I assign each Tuesday a topic and then post my top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join me and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

You’ll find the schedule of upcoming TTT topics below so you can plan ahead. I’ll post a Linky here on the blog each week so you can link up your post (if you want). If you don’t have a blog, post your picks in the comment section below! Have tons of fun talking books and getting to know your fellow bloggers!

NOTE: If a weekly topic is listed as a “freebie”, you are invited to come up with your own topic. Sometimes I will give your topic a theme, such as “love”, a season, or an upcoming holiday. That just means that you can come up with any topic you want that fits under that umbrella.

You’re more than welcome to use the Top Ten Tuesday image I designed above (or any of my older/seasonal ones), or make your own that fits your site’s theme.

December 13: Books on My Winter 2022-2023 To-Read List



1. The Cuckoo by Leo Carew: Most likely this will be one of my winter reads. I hadn't read the first two books, but I hope one can read the third one without reading the previous two. 



2. The Tethered Mage by Melisa Caruso: I originally wanted to read the The Ivory Tomb, but realize I need to go back. I read that its impossible to read the second trilogy without reading the first one. 



3. The Basel Killings by Hansjorg Schneider: This was published first but is fifth in the series? (First one was published in 2022.) I did like first one and would like to read this one as well. 



4. The Hand that Feeds You by Mercedes Rosende: I read the prequel and am looking to seeing how the sequel will take the story. 



5. The Foxglove King by Hannah Whitten: Loved Winderwood trilogy and highly looking forward to starting new series, especially since it looks like a dark gothic type romance. 



6. Impossible to be Human by Robert Kalich: It definitely sounds interesting in my opinion. Hope its better than the prequel, which I didn't really enjoy. 



7. Deep as Death by Katja Ivar: 1950s and Finland and a mystery? Please sign me up. Sequel to Evil Things. 



8. Evil Things by Katja Ivar: Prequel to to Deep As Death. 



9. Trouble by Katja Ivar: Last book in the trilogy. 



10. The Magician's Daughter by H.G. Parry: It really sounds interesting so yes I might read that one as well. 

Shelf Control


Welcome to Shelf Control — an original feature created and hosted by Bookshelf Fantasies.

Shelf Control is a weekly celebration of the unread books on our shelves. Pick a book you own but haven’t read, write a post about it (suggestions: include what it’s about, why you want to read it, and when you got it), and link up! For more info on what Shelf Control is all about, check out my introductory post, here.

Want to join in? Shelf Control posts go up every Wednesday. See the guidelines at the bottom of the post, and jump on board!


Title:  World Mythology 

Author: Donna Rosenberg 

Published: 1994

Length:  613 pages 

What it’s about (synopsis via Goodreads):

This new edition of World Mythology offers 59 of the world's great myths form Greece and Rome, the Middle East, Northern Europe, the British Isles, the Far East and Pacific Islands, Africa, and the Americas.

How and when I got it: Let's say I got it as a gift on December 27th, 2004. (Yes you read that right.) 

Why I want to read it: I have always had interest in mythology and different stories and this pretty much covers Europe (excluding Eastern Europe) Asia (excluding Korea and Southeast Asia) Africa, North and South America. 

What do you think? Would you read this book? And if you’ve read it, do you recommend it?

Please share your thoughts!

Books from Backlog


Books from the Backlog is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your bookshelf unread.  If you are anything like me, you might be surprised by some of the unread books hiding in your stacks.

If you would like to join in, please feel free to enter your link, link back to this post, and then spend some time visiting some of the other posts.

This week’s neglected book 


Book Title: Blood and Chocolate 

Series: None

Publisher: Laurel Leaf Books

Genres: Young adult, werewolves, urban fantasy, paranormal 

Pages: 264

Format: Print

Source: I forget if I bought it at a bookstore or if I bought it in a library? Possibly library. Bought it on May 23rd, 2014. 

Summary:

Why did I add Blood and Chocolate to my bookshelf? I loved the author's previous novel, The Silver Kiss and am curious about her take on werewolves. I hope the novel is as good as The Silver Kiss. 

What are your thoughts? Have you read this book?  Would you recommend it?

Let's Talk Bookish 


December 16: Banning Books (Jillian @ Jillian the Bookish Butterfly)

Prompts: Do you think banning books is fair? 

To be honest its a tricky question to answer. There are some certain books that I ideally would love to ban, but then there is always argument of importance of studying the past. However little to no attention is being paid to things I would consider issues. 

Should students be allowed to read what they want and be able to get it from their school library? 

In a lot of cases yes. But I do think that some problematic things (mainly treatment of women by men as in Fifty Shades or Twilight series, or books that have wronged a race and religion of people) should be read with proper context instead of just brushing it away or making it pretty. 

In a more broad sense, how do you feel about books that have been “banned?” 

The current book bans? To be honest I don't think I really have any feelings about them. Some of the challenged books were, well, tamer than ones written today. 

Do you think that it’s a crime to ban a book, no matter what it contains, or are there cases where it’s alright? 

There are definitely cases where it's all right, but its a slippery slope and very subjective to a person's view. 

Stacking the Shelves 


Book Titles I got this week: (if available)



Planned Reviews: (If available. Use pictures)





Comments

  1. I love browsing books but don't have a Half PRice near me (I don't think, will have to look)! And mythology is so fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the tooth losing stage and having fun grossing you out! Yes waiting so long for a sequel to come out is a nuisance we all hate! Hope you enjoy your reading. I've been noticing the Mariah Stewart book about on a few readers' blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn T! Yeah, he has been having fun doing that, and I am pretty sure in a month or two another tooth will fall out...Mariah Stewart is a good author. I have read some of her novels from 2014 and they have been rated highly on my blog. Thanks and I hope you will enjoy your reading as well.

      Delete
  3. I’m glad your son safely lost his tooth. My brothers used to gross me out after they lost teeth, too. LOL.

    Enjoy those books.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-books-on-my-winter-2022-2023-to-read-list/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous and thanks so much! Yeah, apparently grossing out is a boy thing I'm beginning to think lol. I will enjoy them and thanks so much! Will be counting down until top tooth #2 falls out...

      Delete
  4. I'm glad the tooth is out! I also miss bookstores. I haven't been to one in over a year. Even if I don't buy anything, I like to walk around and see the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aj@Read All The Things!! Same. I am happy the tooth is out, although I am still awaiting for the second one to fall out in a month or two. I love bookstores too, even if I don't buy anything from them. But just to see, to feel and to be surrounded by so many treasures is simply indescribable. I hope you'll have a chance to go to a bookstore soon.

      Delete
  5. So many good books in here! Hope you enjoy them all.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aymee and thanks so much! I hope you'll enjoy your books too.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022