October 2nd-October 8th, 2022

 The Sunday Post


The Sunday Post is a blog news meme hosted here @ Caffeinated Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on your blog for the week ahead. Join in weekly, bi-weekly or for a monthly wrap up. See rules here: Sunday Post Meme

#1 Third times a charm?

To be honest, this is the third time or so that I have began doing memes. Why? They will become a piece of history, a memory of time and of how things used to be. Also. Call it a new years resolutions of sorts. I hope this format will be more encouraging than previous ones. 

Last Week On The Blog

None

This Week On The Blog

Do my usual beginning of month things as well as write reviews for FF and write some reviews for my blog to get caught up a little. 

New Arrivals At Svetlana's Reads and Views:

  







It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 


(From The Book Date)

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a place to meet up and share what you have been, and are about to be reading over the week. It’s a great post to organise yourself. It’s an opportunity to visit and comment and er… add to your groaning TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started on J Kaye’s blog and then was hosted by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn here at The Book Date.
Jen Vincent, Teach Mentor Texts, and Kellee of Unleashing Readers decided to give It’s Monday! a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children’s literature – picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels or anything in those genres – join them.

So I am trying to finish up The Jasmine THRONE by Tasha Suri and have begun reading The Queen of Izmoroz by Jon Skovron. Next on my list are The Autodidacts and Summer Lightning. 

Reading:




Plans:









Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

How it works:

I assign each Tuesday a topic and then post my top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join me and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

You’ll find the schedule of upcoming TTT topics below so you can plan ahead. I’ll post a Linky here on the blog each week so you can link up your post (if you want). If you don’t have a blog, post your picks in the comment section below! Have tons of fun talking books and getting to know your fellow bloggers!

NOTE: If a weekly topic is listed as a “freebie”, you are invited to come up with your own topic. Sometimes I will give your topic a theme, such as “love”, a season, or an upcoming holiday. That just means that you can come up with any topic you want that fits under that umbrella.

You’re more than welcome to use the Top Ten Tuesday image I designed above (or any of my older/seasonal ones), or make your own that fits your site’s theme.

October 4: Favorite Bookstores OR Bookstores I’d Love to Visit (The UK celebrated National Bookshop Day on October 1, so I thought it would be a fun topic!)

So, mine situation: I live in suburbs, and I am pretty far away from bookstores (Combine that I live in a state where car is as necessary as breathing and where its impossible to get anywhere without walking. Also combine that with financial situation where my finances are pretty much controlled because getting books is like an addiction for me, well, yeah.) Maybe I can focus on some bookstores I went to in the past? Or my ideal bookstores? Maybe half fantasy half reality? 

1. Half Price Books 

2. Local library 

3.Barnes and Noble 

4. Half Price Books Flagship

5. Amazon 

6. Half Price Books again

7. Friends of library booksale 

8. 70 percent off bookstore 

9. Another city library 

10. Half Price Books at a different city 

Shelf Control


Welcome to Shelf Control — an original feature created and hosted by Bookshelf Fantasies.

Shelf Control is a weekly celebration of the unread books on our shelves. Pick a book you own but haven’t read, write a post about it (suggestions: include what it’s about, why you want to read it, and when you got it), and link up! For more info on what Shelf Control is all about, check out my introductory post, here.

Want to join in? Shelf Control posts go up every Wednesday. See the guidelines at the bottom of the post, and jump on board!


Title:  Mandala 

Author:  Pearl Buck 

Published: 1970

Length: 281

What it’s about (synopsis via Goodreads):

News reaches Maharana Prince Jagat and his wife, Moti, that their only son, Jai, has been killed by the Chinese in a border skirmish. An inconsolable Moti sends Jagat out to bring the boy's spirit home. On the journey, the prince becomes involved with a beautiful and mysterious young American woman. Thus begins the fatal attraction between Eastern and Western ways, one bound by rigid custom, the other temptingly ripe with freethinking.

How and when I got it: Honestly, I wish I could remember how I got it. Maybe its something I bought on amazon most likely because I was interested in reading Indian male/White female relationships? I received this book on May 9th, 2017. 

Why I want to read it: I want to read it because I enjoyed Pearl Buck's previous books and I am curious about her take on Indian culture as well as learning something fascinating. 

What do you think? Would you read this book? And if you’ve read it, do you recommend it?

Please share your thoughts!

Books from Backlog


Books from the Backlog is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your bookshelf unread.  If you are anything like me, you might be surprised by some of the unread books hiding in your stacks.

If you would like to join in, please feel free to enter your link, link back to this post, and then spend some time visiting some of the other posts.

This week’s neglected book 


Book Title: The three daughters of Madame Liang by Pearl Buck 

Series: N/A

Publisher: Methuen 

Genres:  Fiction, Family Drama, China, Modern Classics 

Pages: 295

Format: Paperback 

Source: From half price books. January 2nd, 2020

Summary:

After her husband takes a concubine, Madame Liang sets out on her own, starting an upscale restaurant and sending her daughters to America to be educated. At the restaurant, the leaders of the People's Republic wine and dine and Madame Liang must keep a low profile for her daughters' sake. Soon her two eldest daughters are called back to serve the People's Republic. Her oldest daughter, Grace, now a doctor, finds meaning through her work. Things are not as easy for her daughter Mercy, a musician who is not in demand in the People's Republic, nor for her new husband who she has brought back to China with her. Watching her two daughters grow apart and knowing that her youngest daughter will never return, Madame Liang must also face the challenges The Cultural Revolution, and how to keep herself and the restaurant, alive.

Why did I add The Three Daughters of Madame Liang to my bookshelf?

I was probably feeling adventurous and it was something I often saw and became curious about, although I hadn't read the book yet. I have read Pearl Buck previously and would have liked to read her other works as well. 

What are your thoughts? Have you read this book?  Would you recommend it?

Let's Talk Bookish 


Let’s Talk Bookish is a weekly bookish meme created by Rukky @ Eternity Books and has been hosted by me (Book Nook Bits) since April of this year! Each Friday, there is a discussion topic for bloggers to write about. This week’s topic is reading seasonally, (suggested by Mikaela @ Mikaela Reads)

Do you read seasonally? Do you like a beach read in summer, a spooky book in the autumn and holiday themed ones in winter?

To be honest, I don't read seasonally. Right now I am trying to get through a huge pile of books that need to be reviewed. Long ago I recall I often read heartbreaking stories of sorts around spring, namely The North China Lover by Marguerite Duras and The Foreign Student by Susan Choi. Perhaps in winter I used to read 'Till Morning Comes by Han Suyin. 

What’s your favorite season?

In Russia I loved all seasons year round, but in Texas, I love seasons that tend to be cool like autumn or spring or winter. Summer is the season I hate with an intensity of ten thousand suns. 

Do you have any favorite seasonal reads?

I wished I did, but right now am trying to get through reviews, so I would guess I read what publishers put out and when? I should really pay attention to my seasonal readings patterns for next time I believe. 

Stacking the Shelves 


Book Titles I got this week: (if available)

Engines of Empire by R.S. Ford 

The Tethered Mage by Melissa Caruso 

The Defiant Heir by Melissa Caruso 

The Unbound Empire by Melissa Caruso 

The Tower of the Fools by Andrzej Sapkowski 

The Warriors of God by Andrzej Sapkowski

Light Perpetual by Andrzej Sapkowski 

Planned Reviews: (If available. Use pictures) 



Dead Water by C.A. Fletcher 



A Dowry of Blood S.T. Gibson 



Ithaca bv Claire North



Bronze Drum by Phong Nguyen 



The Bone Flower by Charles Lambert



There are no Happy Loves by Sergio Olguin 

Comments

  1. Wow, you covered a lot of territory in one post! I participate in some of those memes too - Shelf Control and Beat the Backlist - but I'm visiting today from Top 10 Tues. I don't spend much time in bookstores either - pretty much live at my library. But it's fun to pretend and imagine which bookstores I WOULD visit, so that's what I did. Hope you have a great week and time for a good book.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/ttt-bookstores-to-visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terrie, Thanks for commenting! I love looking at my library as well. I often forget that I have such wonderful variety of books. I have a six year old boy and I hope he'll find some use of my personal library one day hehe. (He's already eyeing some adult fantasy novels I received...)

      Delete
  2. I love a Book Meme!

    Re Top Ten Tuesday - I am really lucky and can get to a bookshop or library pretty easily - my nearest library is a 15 min walk away. I do have a wishlist so here it is (I do shop on Amazon an awful lot):

    Have a great week!

    Have a great week!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/10/04/top-ten-tuesday-favourite-bookstores-or-bookstores-id-love-to-visit/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily, thanks for commenting! I hope you enjoyed my blog post! Possibly something might be wrong with links, but I don't see your Amazon list anywhere. It's cool you live where you live :)

      Delete
  3. Half Price Books sounds like my kind of place!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2022/10/04/top-ten-tuesday-388/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love Half Price Books about ten or more years ago. I had at least two that I frequented thanks to my parents driving there. Now they moved farther away from me so, and books are a lot more expensive there... :(

      Delete
  4. Honestly, I dont’ buy a lot of books either. Thank goodness for sales and the library, I say.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-fictional-bookstores-id-love-to-visit/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lydia, thanks for commeting! Loved your post because you're both recommending books and TV shows as well as telling the readers to keep an eye out for bookstores. Library I visit with my son has cool book sales where I got a lot of interesting books for about a buck or so. (And I also want to thank whoever donates books to library because library sales have really wonderful modern selections of books (Few days ago I spotted American Dirt and The Leavers!)

      Delete
  5. Memes are fun! I don't think that I have read any of Pearl S. Buck's works yet. I hope you enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I read a few but not ones I posted.

      Delete
  6. My fav bookstore is Another Look Books or John King books. Looks like you have quite a stack of new books and cheering you on to get to your shelved books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sophia Rose! I was surprised too by the arrival. I didn't think all seven would appear in one day honestly.

      Delete
    2. Also, if its okay, could you post your blog so I can check out and make a comment? The one you have is outdated.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022