Book Review of Feather in the Wind by Madeline Baker

Name of book: Feather in the Wind

Author Name: Madeline Baker

ISBN: 0-8439-4197-9

Publisher: Leisure

Type of book: Adult, contemporary/historical, interracial white female/native american male, romance novel

Year it was published: 1997

Summary:

Black Wind-He gazed out over a land as vast and empty as teh sky, praying for the strength to guide his people, and he saw her face. She came to him in a vision, a woman as mysterious as the new moon over the prairie, as tender as springtime in the Paha Sapa. And he knew his life was changed forever.
Susannah-She saw his face in a faded picture, and his eyes, restless as the wind, seemed to call to her. It was said he'd been hanged nearly a century before for kidnapping a white woman, yet his story seemed unfinished. To the writer in her he was an inspiration, but to the lonely woman within he was a dream come true who would lure her across the years to fulfill a love beyond time.

Characters:
If I would have read this book years and years back, I would have enjoyed the book a lot for its characters, but since I'm 25 and not 16, well, my tastes have changed and so forth. The characters seemed kind of one dimensional and despite the constant excitement they are boring. I didn't like Black Wind's character, and looks-wise, I'm not a fan of bulging muscles the size of footballs or anything like that, but instead prefer guys that have slightly muscled and or slender build. Susannah, in comparison with Black Wind, seems to be kind of a weak character, (and its not only because he kidnaps her all the time...) and unfortunately I was not touched or moved by their love (in this year in particular)

Theme:
I think the main problem was the struggle between the desire to return to familiar and experience the unfamiliar, even wanting to stay in it. The question that was asked was, can humans live among the unfamiliar and even carve out happiness for themselves?

Plot:
While the history and Native American side was particularly intriguing, it sometimes does tend to fall into the point of view switch, even without warnings. This does have the particular elements of introduction and whatnot, and its good that the author did contrast, that is one white good couple and one white bad person and so on.

Author Information:
At the moment none available.

Opinion:
I first bought this book in 1997, and I read it frequently, enjoying the story for one reason or another. However, I read it recently and much to mine surprise did not enjoy the story at all. Perhaps its at the way Black Wind treats Susannah or perhaps it seems a touch bit too fluffy? I am not sure why. I think the reason I liked this book in the past is because it my first interracial romance novel, and the fact that the female character is dark haired and dark eyed. Maybe its me but I honestly cannot see any supposed racism in there. (Perhaps someone can point it out to me?)

2 out of 5
(0: Stay away unless a masochist 1: Good for insomnia 2: Horrible but readable; 3: Readable and quickly forgettable, 4: Good, enjoyable 5: Buy it, keep it and never let it go.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022