The hunger of the gods by John Gwynne


Name of Book: The Hunger of the Gods

Author: John Gwynne 

ISBN: 978-0-316-53992-0

Publisher: Orbit

Part of a Series: The Bloodsworn

Type of book: Fantasy, agenda, wars, fighting, gods and goddesses, northern Europe, devotion, cold stark world, adventure 

Year it was published: 2022

Summary:

The Hunger of the Gods continues John Gwynne’s acclaimed Norse-inspired epic fantasy series, packed with myth, magic and bloody vengeance.

Lik-Rifa, the dragon god of legend, has been freed from her eternal prison. Now she plots a new age of blood and conquest.

As Orka continues the hunt for her missing son, the Bloodsworn sweep south in a desperate race to save one of their own – and Varg takes the first steps on the path of vengeance.

Elvar has sworn to fulfil her blood oath and rescue a prisoner from the clutches of Lik-Rifa and her dragonborn followers, but first she must persuade the Battle-Grim to follow her.

Yet even the might of the Bloodsworn and Battle-Grim cannot stand alone against a dragon god.

Their hope lies within the mad writings of a chained god. A book of forbidden magic with the power to raise the wolf god Ulfrir from the dead . . . and bring about a battle that will shake the foundations of the earth.

Characters:

There are a lot of characters, especially secondary ones. I will focus on five characters. The tale begins with Orka, a Tainted woman who only wants to get her beloved son Brecca back. Orka is definitely a woman to admire because of her nickname, skullsplitter, as well as devotion, resourcefulness, cleverness and the fact she sees underneath appearances. ( from what I gather, she truly made a wonderful impression on two creatures that most would have loved to kill...) Elvar at first is poor little rich girl but then she begins to grow up and gains responsibility, she truly is far thinking and dedicated to doing what she can for those she cares about. Varg is a former Tainted thrall who also matures and finds unexpected family and friends. Biorr  is a man wrestling with morals and trying to figure out what is right or wrong. Gu(th)varr is someone I don't think I am supposed to like. He is arrogant, narrow-sighted and very narcsistic. He also does whatever he can to survive. So secondary characters I enjoyed is Lik Rifa the dragon goddess as well as Queen Helka, Skalk, and many others.   

Theme:

Everything has a price 

Plot:

The story is in third person narrative from Orkas, Elvars, Vargs, Biorrs and Gu(th)varrs points of views. Although it's the second part of a trilogy, it's not necessary to read the first novel, unless you want a more in depth story and appreciation. The author helpfully provides a prologue of what has happened in first novel, which makes it easier for newcomers to begin with second book in case if first isn't available. I liked that there is a map and a huge character list of who's who in the story which definitely helps readers to enjoy the story without getting lost. The world is definitely vivid and it sucks the reader in. Most of the story is of battles with few political maneuvering. But what is also a big stand out are certain characters that I found myself enjoying. What also impressed me are women in the story because there are a variety of women in leadership positions but they are portrayed well. I also enjoy seeing the antagonist point of view and am definitely piqued in finding time to read and review THE first part of the trilogy. So scenery and characters are very well done. 

Author Information:
(From goodreads)

I am the author of epic fantasy series The Faithful and the Fallen, Of Blood and Bone and The Bloodsworn Saga. I'm also a Viking re-enactor and enjoy nothing more than standing in the shield wall with my three sons, who are as passionate about swords and axes as I am (when I'm not stuck in my coat of mail; it's harder than it looks).
I live on the south coast of the UK with my beautiful wife, three sons and my daughter, and an assortment of animals (at the moment three dogs, a horse and a lamb who thinks she's a dog).
My dogs think I am their slave.

Malice, my debut novel, was published by Pan Macmillan in 2012 and went on to win the David Gemmell Morningstar Award for Best Fantasy Debut of 2012. That was a truly wonderful moment, as David Gemmell is a hero of mine and one of the reasons I write.

The following three books in the series - Valour, Ruin and Wrath, were all shortlisted for the David Gemmell Legend Award for Best Fantasy Novels of 2014, 2015 and 2016, with Wrath winning the 2017 BookNest Awards for Best Traditionally Published Novel.

My second series, of Blood and Bone, is set in the Banished Lands, the same world as the first series. Book 1, A Time of Dread, begins 130 years after the events of the first series. A Time of Courage, book 3 Of Blood and Bone, made the Spiegel Bestseller's List in Germany.

My latest book, The Shadow of the Gods, book 1 of the Bloodsworn Saga, will be published in May 2021. It is inspired by Norse mythology, Beowulf and Ragnarök.

I am represented by Julie Crisp.

Opinion:

Wow, if this is where fantasy is as well as heading, then sign me up for more! First of all, I have never seen or known fantasy that portrayed northern Europe ( think medieval or ancient Norway or Sweden or Finland.) Quite often fantasy focused on western Europe, which isn't bad, but it's bad when there wasn't a variety of voices as it is now. I truly loved reading this novel from cover to cover and getting an impression of how northern fantasy can be done the right way. Also, how soon can third novel come out? What I loved most about THE HUNGER OF THE GODS is the imagination and world building the author has used throughout these pages. John Gwynne truly has a gift and passion for bringing it to life. It's not a world I want to live at ( my worst nightmares are the parasitic creatures of bees and tongue eaters)   but it is a world that I loved visiting and am wondering how much of is based on northern mythology? And how much is the authors imagination? Also, please tell me that third novel is coming soon! 

This was given for review 

5 out of 5
(0: Stay away unless a masochist 1: Good for insomnia 2: Horrible but readable; 3: Readable and quickly forgettable, 4: Good, enjoyable 5: Buy it, keep it and never let it go.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022