March 8th special- Top 8 Female Authors I like

In honor of Women's Day which is widely celebrated in Russia by men doing special things for the women in their lives, I've decided to create a short list of 8 female authors I like:

1. Margaret Mitchell

Why I like her books:

I am still in awe in how one human being could combine so many different things to make an incredible written novel of the way the civil war affected the South. I do agree that the novel tends to be slightly racist in some parts and perhaps some people didn't feel comfortable reading it because the author chose to whitewash certain issues and not bring slave sufferings to light, but if one reads it, one has to remember that the novel only switches points of view once or twice; first from Brent's to Scarlett's and at one point briefly to Ashley's. Most of all Scarlett witnesses and sees the world as she does and unfortunately she never questions or witnesses the mistreatment of slaves.

2. Jade Lee (She's one in green)

Why I like her books:

I'll be honest; I'm only familiar with her Tigress series and only Under His Spell, but she creates skillful tales full of intrigue and hot scenes as well as trying to combine the Chinese and Europe/American cultures in her Tigress series. Although I hadn't read Cornered Tigress and Desperate Tigress, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the other four books, in particular Tempting Tigress was my favorite, although I liked Tao of Sex as well. For me her books don't get old or boring, and I still find myself laughing at the same old parts I laughed at before. For me, those books are timeless in other words.

3. Jillian Burns

Why I like her books:

I've only read her Blaze books, but I have to love the way she creates the heroes and heroines. None of them are the same and they stay consistent throughout the book. The plots and struggles are also unique, such as Alex and Mitch from Night Maneuvers trying to get over the fears of intimacy, or Ethan Grady and Lilly also struggling to be together and so forth. The heroines don't feel typical but instead are portrayed as people.

4. Pearl Buck

Why I like her books:

Although I have only read The Good Earth and am reading Sons, I have to enjoy the almost "biblical" tone she uses in the book, as well as creating simplicity and complexity within the novel. Also as well, although not perhaps the immediate intention, the character of Wang Lung deserves mention, how he creates the feeling of rage in many readers. (I do admit that he was impatient and whatnot, but he had good qualities too; he protected the poor fool from being sold.) The characters of his sons in Sons also are fascinating, although the two brothers, the merchant and the landlord (who I imagine as an overweight 500 lb man who looks like a pig,) seem to be one dimensional.

5. Lisa Yee


Why I like her books:

Somehow she creates three different points of view from one summer. Even though I knew what was going to happen, it was still delightful to read and witness events and character growth from three main characters. I also read Warp Speed, which I enjoyed and found interesting. (Marley's cynicism was incredibly delightful!) Stanford's crush on Emily was a delight to read, as well Millicent's character growth and how she gets beyond the "selfish" mode thanks to Emily and Stanford. Emily also has an interesting read and I still can't decide if the perkiness in her letters is a way of controlling herself emotionally or is it 100 percent natural. I think Emily does succeed in quests of her own.

6. Laura Ingalls Wilder

Why I like her books:

This is the author who wrote books that impacted dozens of people for many generations since 1930s and 1940s. Possibly also the books gave foundation to the meaning of being an American (biased in my view,) and somehow helped unite the people. In many ways, being a 1.5 Generation from Moscow Russia and not desiring to see myself as an American due to lack of commonalities, I disagree with a lot of messages in the book. But still, they make an entertaining read, as well as help people understand why thoughts and ideas are the way they are.

7. Ann Radcliffe

Why I like her books:

I hadn't read The Italian yet, but I did enjoy Mysteries of Udolpho a great deal.The other two, Romance of the Forest and Sicilian Romance, unfortunately I hadn't enjoyed as much. What I loved is the first novel of Mysteries of Udolpho; the vivid descriptions of nature that Emily and her father and Valancort witness as well as the progression towards their destination. There is something in that first volume that recalled me to my childhood, to the days I would imagine Lisa Frank style things. I also enjoyed the surprises, oddly enough, and that she left no mystery unturned in the ~500 page novel.

8. Murasaki Shikibu 

Why I like her books: 

This is the woman who wrote a Japanese masterpiece called The Tale of Genji. Despite the thickness and length (wow, almost 1100 pages long!) most of times I wasn't bored reading it. The novel and the story seems to be on the border of fantasy yet reality at the same time, and there are lots of characters to admire and to understand. There's a melancholy tone to the novel and the endless lesson that life is fleeting. This is also a multi generational novel which moves on from Genji and To no Chujo to Yugiri and Kashiwagi, then to Kaoru  and Nio no miya, yet despite the progression of generations, the theme of love remains the same.

The authors I chose are the ones that influenced society in some way, and the books which I treasure and enjoyed a great deal. So, now that the reader knows which authors I enjoy, what are the top female authors that you guys enjoy?

Comments

  1. Nice list. I was surprised that Lisa See isn't there. Best wishes from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Giora. Thanks for the comment :) In truth I hadn't read any of Lisa See's books, that's why I didn't put her there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fair enough, Sveta. I mention her in my China-America novel because she's the best known American Chinese author these days. I found you, reading your tale about your ex Korean boyfriend in another blog. Are you writing a novel also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to, although I think my stories will be more Korean focused hehe. I haven't had experiences with Chinese men. Hope you liked my stories or comments :)

      Delete
  4. I follow Jade Lee on Facbook and posted to her that Sveta, you, listed her among the best 8 female authors.
    Jade Lee posted back that she thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Did you give her my link by any chance?

      Delete
  5. Yes, I did. I put it on her Facebook's page. Go to Facebook and click on "Jade Lee" and follow the recent posts, and you will see it. You can also say Hello to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sveta, I am so honored I cannot even express it! Thank you! And btw, if you want to read something else of mine, I'm giving away Engaged in Wickedness for free. Just to to my website (www.jadeleeauthor.com). The link is on the home page. Or direct to: www.jadeleeauthor.com/engaged-in-wickedness-free And again, THANK YOU! I am very touched and honored to be in such awesome company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting on the blog :) I hope you liked the reviews I wrote for the Tigress series

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022