Best of 2019

So it's that time of year again: the time when "Best of..." lists appear listing various books that have captured our souls and our imaginations. A lot of times I am of the belief that next year can't beat the current one, but this time, I'm happy to report, reading wise, I already know that 2020 will be filled with a long of wonderful reading treasures. This time I will look back on the best books I have reviewed during 2019 (many of them were published in previous years) and I hope next year I will have the chance to do the same thing. To 2020!

From My Blog: 

The shame factor; heal your deepest fears and set yourself free by Stephan B. POULTER, PhD

Brief Reason I loved it: It's raw, honest and doesn't leave a stone unturned

The Fragility of Bodies by Sergio OLGUIN

Brief Reason I loved it: Tense mystery, real unapologetic woman and intriguing premise

The Bloody black flag by Steve Goble

Brief reason I loved it: Look at a pirate life and loved Spider John's observations

The Body in Griffith Park by Jennifer Kincheloe

Brief reason I loved it: Comedy and mystery wrapped in a thrilling escape where its possible to cry one minute then laugh another. And, it never gets boring

No past tense; love and survival in the shadow of the Holocaust by D.Z. Stone

Brief reason I loved it: A beautiful tribute of people going far and defying the captives of what has been done to them. Also loved the love story of their marriage

Wunderland by Jennifer Cody Epstein

Brief reason I loved it: Beautiful writing and a lot of research behind the 1930s Germany as well as examination of faith, friendship and trials and their impact on future generations

The Girls by Emma Cline

Brief reason I loved it: A wonderful tale of spell binding and of how the followers can be far more important than a leader in a cult.

Alvar the Kingmaker by Annie Whitehead

Brief reason I loved it: slow, detailed and meticulously researched as well as an awesome love story and a tale of loyalty and punishment

The Pale Faced Lie by David Crow

Brief reason I loved it: Details, vivid memories and examination of relationships between parents and a child.

The Last Pier by Roma Tearne

Brief reason I loved it: Sensory imagery of beginnings of WW2, attention to detail, and exploration of memory

Left to their own devices by Julie M. Albright

Brief reason I loved it: I felt that it portrayed the future a little too accurately and its a good book to read and understand our motives and where we come from.

The Goodbye Cafe by Mariah Stewart

Brief reason I loved it: It has romantic elements, but most of all its a tale of sisterhood, motherhood and of the importance of trying new things and healing before trying to find love again.

My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing

Brief reason I loved it: The wife in the book is definitely fascinating. I also loved the attention paid to suburban life and of what we hide whenever we go somewhere.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Brief reason I loved it: Vivid details, I loved the love story and how ultimately it wasn't what you think it might be.

Guy by Jowita Bydlowska

Brief reason I loved it: The main character, (yes, his name is Guy,) is a well intention ed asshole, but at the same time he is a fascinating male character.

The Marriage of Miss Jane Austen Volume II by Collins Hemingway

Brief reason I loved it: I loved the first year of Jane Austen's marriage and loved how the author pulled the readers into the tale, letting us experience Regency England beyond the balls and gowns.

The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu

Brief reason I loved it: Multi-sensory, well crafted sentences and a world long lost to time. Aside from the accepted mores of Heian Era Japan, what's not to love?

The Girls at 17 Swann Street by Yara Zgheib

Brief reason I loved it: I will never look at anorexia and bulimia the way I previously looked at them. This book will change you, will cause you to experience emotion that was long dormant.

Mistress of Legend by Nicole Evelina

Brief reason I loved it: This finishes up the tale of Guinevere beautifully, focusing on her outside the legend of King Arthur.

Fresh Fiction:
Reassons that I loved these books? Please click on here to check out my article for Top Reads of 2019 at Fresh Fiction. 

Miracle Creek by Angie Kim

Little Faith by Nickolas Butler

The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer

The Sisters of the Winter Wood by Rena Rossner

The Golden Wolf by Linnea Hartsuyker

Her Secret Son by Hannah Mary McKinnon

Queen for a Day by Maxine Rossaler

Mother Country by Irina Reyn 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

G324 E-Reading Book Review of Mozart's Wife by Juliet Waldron

October 16th- October 22nd, 2022

October 9th-October 15th, 2022